(Week 4) Crash courses? Maybe?

It’s mind-blowing that I’ve been here a month. I’m already feeling despair at the thought of the looming and alarmingly fast-approaching home stretch of my time here in Harrisonburg and, I’ll admit, I would have preferred to do more with the other REU fellows outside of our respective programs. The cool thing, though, is that the ASL interpreters here hosted their first weekly “signing lunch” this past Monday, where folks could gather, eat lunch, and learn (and practice!) sign language. Me being me, of course, I went and had a grand old time. We worked on the alphabet and basic phrases and then spent the last few minutes only having sign language conversations with each other. I definitely look forward to returning on Monday. Just tonight, I played a couple of games of Cutthroat with one of the chemistry professors, visiting from Gallaudet University, and his young son. It’s refreshing to have opponents to play with after playing billiards with myself for the past month or so. Maybe sometime, we can have a “tournament” of sorts, just to get us all together? What’s more, I got to learn and practice more ASL phrases throughout the evening, since the good Dr. “Debo” is deaf! By the time this REU program finishes, I might be better able to hold my own in an ASL conversation, if not have someone to practice with…

Progress Report

Okay, so maybe I haven’t been able to get a visual representation of my sensory input yet… I don’t know about you guys, but this week was like a step forward and a step and a half back for me. On the bright side, I made the outline for a database and started implementing it. On the not-so-bright side, implementation is a little buggy and I’m still figuring out why. Without boring y’all with the wordy details, I set an alarm to start the sensors, say, every minute, and it does its thing and turns off after five seconds, but the application crashes sometimes and I’m in the process of pinpointing the bug. What I find interesting is that the alarm only goes off in specific intervals during any given instance of a process, even if the user cancels the alarm and starts it again. I think my bug has something to do with connecting my database, though, but I’m not sure yet. As you can tell, I definitely have my haystack full of needles right now, but isolating things are looking like a useful way of finding them all. Hopefully, by this time next week, these pesky bugs will be squashed. Even in the midst of invisible insects, it’s usually a good idea to keep a positive attitude, right? Right? To recap my week in about ten words, though: lots and lots of testing, head-banging, and API-learning. As I move into next week, I’ll be continuing my API-learning so that instead of ending up with a monstrosity of a migraine, I’ll have a nice, smooth data collection system that I can make use of. And a less bulbous head. Let us all hope for the best. Just remember to eat your vegetables and I’ll see y’all next week!

 

Click here for the next week’s post

Click here for last week’s post

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s